Zero Waste Games
It has been planned, during the preparation for holding Winter Games of 2014, to perform a number of interventions in order to introduce «zero waste» principle. This principle is aimed at forming a totally new approach to organization of the collection, processing and neutralization of solid household and biological waste that guarantees sustainable environmental-and-economic development of the whole Sochi region, namely:
- waste reduction
- waste proccessing
- waste recycling
«Zero waste» principle means also «zero losses» principle that implies not only reduced volumes of garbage but also recovery and recycling of used-up products, components and materials that they consist of. Implementation of «Zero waste games» dimension is based on generally avowed initiative 3R — Reuse, Reduce, Recycle.
Proposed scheme of waste treatment is viewed as being a front-edge one not only for the city of Sochi but also for Russia in general, and it implies the following arrangements.
At the stage of preparation for the Games:
- formation of a general scheme for cleaning Sochi;
- introducing the methods for reduction of waste, emissions and discharges of all kinds related to usage and maintenance of buildings;
- liquidation and reactivation of existing waste landfills throughout the Games area, creation of new comprehensive polygons;
- creating of complexes for processing solid household and biological waste;
- ubiquitous usage of non-waste and low-waste technologies in construction, maximum possible usage of materials derived from the process of secondary raw materials recirculation;
- formation of hazardous waste treatment system in Sochi;
- broad engagement of public in the process of separate garbage collection and waste recirculation.
During the Winter Games:
- organization of system for separate garbage collection, composting and sorting waste generated in connection with Winter Games delivery, including procedures for maintaining cleanliness on the Games’ territory;
- minimized volumes of waste in the area of public services, food catering and cleaning through the usage of high technologies;
- non-admission of breaching the rules for waste treatment and sustaining cleanliness in the Games’ territory;
In post-Games period:
- liquidation of temporary infrastructure facilities with the purpose to reuse their component parts;
- no waste may be generated in the process of reprofiling of Olympic facilities;
- adapting waste treatment system formed in the period of the Games delivery, to the needs of Sochi;
- arrangements to ensure public involvement in furthering organization of separate collection and recirculation of solid household andbiological waste in Sochi.