In Harmony with Nature
- Games in Harmony with Nature
- Games with minimal impact on climate
- Zero Waste Games
- Enlightenment Games
Unique combination of subtropical Black Sea coast with the neighboring snowy peaks of Caucasus Mountains has created inimitable natural-and-climatic conditions of Sochi that since long has been a favorite recreation place for thousands of Russians, an All-Russian alpine, seaside and balneological resort. Mission of the Winter Games of 2014 is to introduce in Sochi a new vision of sustainable development in harmony with nature that will not only spare Sochi environment of harmful impact but also will be instrumental in resolving ecological challenges that have accumulated over many years.
At the preparatory phase of the Games all construction of Olympic venues and infrastructure in Sochi region is subject to the following requirements:
- resorting to sustainable development and conservation of environment principles in making decisions about location of venues and in choosing constructive solutions for their design;
- cautious treatment of soil, inadmissibility of treating fat earth fill deposits as waste or ballast earth, usage of fertile earth from beneath the bottom of the buildings exclusively for vegetating purposes;
- water resources shall be used on the basis of comprehensive approach to water consumption that rules out depletion or pollution of water properties;
- putting to use advantageous properties of green belts, expanding verdure territories and plots, careful treatment of plants during construction, reparation of damage caused to the flora;
- protection of habitats and migration routes of animal kingdom representatives, considerate attitudes to natural resources in the construction process, arrangements to reduce flora disturbing factors;
- meticulous compliance with the requirements for protecting rare and endangered species of animals and plants, arrangements for anticipatory relocation of protectable objects of flora and fauna from land development sites;
- evaluation of environmental impacts together with anticipatory planning and implementation of a package of environmental protection arrangements aimed at minimizing negative effects of construction and as well as reparation of damage caused to them;
- integrated registration of public and specialists’ opinions pointing out the best possible solutions contributing to implementation of environment sustainable development principles in each project;
- introduction of ecologically effective solutions into everyday life and working conditions of the builders, including provision of housing, food and work clothes, implementation of ecological awareness programs for builders and enhancement of their responsibilities in the areas of environmental protection and sustainable development.
Olympic venues design and construction, being the tool for minimization of the Games environmental impact, should become the focus area for Sochi 2014 organizers. Olympic development is to be delivered in the framework of comprehensive environmental standartization and management, adopting the best environmental practices and technologies and setting the new standards throughout Russia.
Winter Games of 2014 shall be delivered in keeping with strict limitations of environmental impacts: high quality organization of transport flows eliminating traffic jams and abnormal air pollution; using transportation vehicles equipped with devices for exhaust gases cleaning; quality and accountable performance of engineering systems including generation of snow and ice, power supplies, water draining, sewage; organization of food catering, accommodation, other services employing low-waste and non-waste technologies; limited access of spectators to reserved territories of Sochi National Park; limited light and noise pollution.
In Post-Games period:
following transformation of Olympic venues disturbed natural properties and complexes shall be rehabilitated, temporary structures dismantled, grass cover restored; technological systems at sports venues and engineering systems shall be adjusted to uninterruptedand efficient performance; all materials and equipments that are not to be used further shall be removed from the Games delivery territory Sochi 2014 development is being exercised simultaneously with the development of Sochi natural protected areas. Ornithological park is to be created in Imeretinskaya valley, Sochi national park is to expanse on new vast territories and Caucasian biosphere reserve is to receive needed science and awareness infrastructure. With the substantial support from the federal government and administration of Krasnodarsky region Sochi 2014 organization is paralleled with the enhancement of Sochi regional environmental framework.
Program for reintroducation for Persian leopard in the Caucasus
The Program for reintroduction of leopard population in the Caucasus is a unique project as long as the world practices has not seen any experience similar to such reinstatement of endangered animal species. Currently this leopard species (Panthera pardus ciscaucasica Satunin) is practically not encountered in the Northern Caucasus territories. Self-reintroduction of the Caucasian leopard population is unfeasible under existing situation. For this reason, the Program provides for reinstatement of a sustainable population of this leopard in captivity with subsequent reintroduction of the animals.
The Program pools efforts of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of the Russian Federation (RF Minprirody), Sochi National Park, Caucasian State Natural Biosphere Reserve, A. N. Severtsov Institute for Problems of Ecology and Evolution of the RAS (Russian Academy of Sciences) and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) to restore and create viable population.
During implementation of the Program it is planned to undertake a set of the following activities:
- identification of territories most suitable for reintroduction of the leopard and carrying out necessary biotechnical arrangements at the sites of release;
- creating necessary conditions for breeding, adaptation and reintroduction of leopard;
- forminga group of the natural population foundersin captivity (it is planned subsequently to create a free self-reproducing leopard population numbering about 30 animals);
- arranging a system for permanent monitoring of created population;
- educational and awareness-building activities aimed at local population to advocate the importance of activities pursued in the framework of the Program;
- ensuring international cooperation around the leopard reintroduction problem.
Also, in the course of the Project activities it is planned to restore the population numbers of the hoofed mammals — the main feed of the leopard, a set of activities have been performed in order to enhance the forage resources for the hoofed animals, and the protection of the territory against poachers has been strengthened. These practical interventions will become an object lesson regarding what the 2014 Game may and should leave after they are finished. On top of that, it shall be possible to retain the diversity of unique nature of the Greater Sochi region for the present and the future generations.